Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Burden of Bones

Lovely bones, don’t strap me down, don’t take with me the weight of years.

Let loose my ways that hold me back and unravel the load of past days' fears.

What I need is space.

A freedom to roam from place to place.

Who are you but bones and chains and pins that nail me to the ground?

To swing from the limbs of the trees of earth and travel the world around.

That is my wish.

A dream to accomplish.

Bones I shed and let fall away to nothing; I delight as I watch them crumble.

A load I released still causes anguish; I watch as the others I love trip and stumble.

Drop your bones I say.

The lovely is a lie; just disobey.

I watch and wonder if my words fell short or if they were tossed about without notice.

Ahead holds clarity and behind can never be; let’s see if our sight has vision to serve us.

Bones say we need them.

But flesh thrives on freedom.

Who is it that grants us choice and allows permission to fly through life?

Are bones a necessary burden or an easily dismissed illusion of strife?

No comments: