Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Emily Dickinson knew a secret.

Tiger Woods was successful at age two. His success has continued to awe the world, not just his friends and family. He is extraordinary. And he’s not the only one.

Talented people are everywhere and we watch them, searching for parts of ourselves within them and their inspirations. At times, it gets heavy to bear. Having a purpose and achieving something significant to validate why we are here seems to be a common driving force in people, especially from our generation, Generation X, and those younger than us. Living, breathing, getting by- just not good enough. We need fulfilled dreams, everyday passions, and on a big ‘Puffy’ type of scale. I’ve heard numerous times that many people determine success by if they are featured on Oprah or not.

There is a poem written by Emily Dickinson that helps to relieve this pressure for me. This is for those of you who seek a break in being haunted by the pursuit of grandness. It is simple.


If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

~Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Christy Ward said...

Good job on the blog!! I "heart" blogging! It is such a great way to keep in touch!