Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Be Bold

So, maybe you'll come to know me without a formal introduction.  I'll call you friend already.  And if I am a writer at all, in a good sense of the word, you will draft some sort of opinion about me, my character, my humor, my sensibilities, and hopefully my intellect along the way of this new blogging effort that I hope will become infectious.

"Hello!" by the way.  I shouted that to you in my head.

In Saint Simons Island today, my temporary place in the world, I had a monumental moment.  It started out ordinary.  I, in ordinary fashion, woke up and performed the tasks that get my pups fed and loved on, myself bathed and presentable, and my car started to drive me the half mile to work.  Please, no guilt trip, there is a marsh between me and my office and really, do you expect me to ride a bike in heels?  In my office, I was thinking ordinary thoughts.  And it was an ordinary circumstance that caused my mind to drift and eventually pounce on the exceptional words that made, at least on this day, the whole world seem clear!

Charlie Sheen did it.  "Who?" you say.  CHARLIE SHEEN.  Yes, the same tabloid figurehead we see everyday playing tug of war with Denise over those two precious children.  Same guy.  I remembered, as I sat at my desk deciding whether I was hungry or not, his casual remarks about his choice in presidential candidates, and his snide remarks about who he was not voting for.  I started thinking about how easily some people insult those that do not share their political views and how this becomes an unattractive habit making those that partake look silly and arrogant.  In my head, I thought, it may not just be celebrities that are like this but they get a 'voice' that others do not get by having people gloat over them when they arrive at their promo parties.  Imagine: microphones being slung in your face to catch every utterance that comes out of your mouth, and no matter what you say, someone giggles and snorts like a farm animal just because they are awed by your mere acknowledgment of their question.  This could make a person think they are different right?  Special maybe.  Because everyone is treating them differently.

What makes some people arrogant and smirky and happy and know-it-alls?

I don't know.

But that led me in this direction... spider walk with me now...   

Happy people tend to be people that do what they want to do.  Like celebrities.  Like Charlie Sheen.  Not like those of us who do what they have to do.  Big difference.  The two perspectives don't relate.

Upon realizing this I also realized that I am a person who wakes up and thinks of what I have to do and what I should do instead of what I want to do and what I could do.  Ah ha!  Life is automatically more fun when I think "what do I want to do right now?"  Forget the shoulds.

In my case, and I am not in any way recommending this, I wanted to go be exhilerating and rebellious and smoke a cigarette!  I had been thinking about one non-stop since February and I am not a smoker.  But I wanted to smoke one and wouldn't let myself because I shouldn't.  What harm is one cigarette?  Not quite the same as one jumping off of the San Fran Golden Gate!  So, I excused myself from my desk, from my office, and I went and bought a pack of cigarettes, where the clerk gave me a lighter! (that was such a sign!)  And, on the way back to my car, I actually wanted to gleefully skip!  I felt so naughty and full of life.

I promptly drove to the beautiful Wesley Monument, and began my leisurely walk and puff amongst the oak trees while I crossed my threshold into my new way of thinking.  This was my moment of realization.  I looked through the scrambled tree branches accessorized with moss and framing the forever blue sky beyond.  I laughed at this because it couldn't have been more beautiful.  I put myself in perspective and laughed out loud at how silly and strict I have been while I have sacrificed many, many enjoyable occasions due to a false sense of responsibility or duty.  It was monumental, pivotal, and because of Charlie.

Because of that scarce puff of a cigarette I merrily buzzed up the idea of a blog.  It occured to me that it was something I wanted.  I had never thought of it before really.  But I guess my blood vessels restricted flow in my brain and I discovered a lost want.  A blog.

So here I am, Beth Cassini, your new blog, not to advocate a ridiculous puff of tobacco, but to say Be Bold!  Live for Want-tos and Coulds and not Have-tos and Shoulds and be sure to note the importance of arrogant, smirky, happy people.  They might just sheen the light on your life.     

5 comments:

Accentuated South said...

Oh, my funny girl. To be young and bold or not to be, that is the question. Find your answers now while you are in the midst of youth, and live all the rest of your life to the fullest. Journey long and safely.

Jennifer said...

Beth, you are such an amazing writer. Keep it coming :)

Kelly and Brent said...

Beth I am so happy to see that you have started a blog. I am obsessed with blogging and ready other blogs. It is definitely my guilty pleasure!

I look forward to keeping in touch with you through your blog.

Hope all is well! And BTW, your profile picture is amazing! You are such a beautiful and smart individual :)

nk said...

Bethy! I absolutely love reading your thoughts! Your title made me think of Almost Famous (what doesn't make me think of that movie?!?) when Frances McDormand says, "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid. Goethe said that." So, I think I may take your advice (and Goethe's as well) and go do something bold today :)

Love you!

Sara said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Beth! I am so happy for you and look forward to reading more!