Monday, August 11, 2014

Week One Catch Up - Montenegro

August 9, 2014

I left Atlanta last Saturday. During this past week, I flew from Atlanta, GA, USA  to Frankfurt, Germany to Vienna, Austria. I landed at around 1:30 PM on Sunday. The time difference is 6 hours ahead of Atlanta. After landing, the dogs and I were picked up and Nick drove us from Austria through Slovenia and into Croatia. We stayed overnight in Zagreb, Croatia. We checked in to a friendly hotel, walked the dogs around a park, and then we walked to dinner in a hip district with a lot of street side dining. The next day, we continued the drive through Croatia, including a short segment through Bosnia, back into Croatia, and finally to Montenegro. It is a beautiful drive with a drastic change in scenery that occurs in Croatia. The green tree views turned to stone hills in a blink. Dubrovnik's old city looks stunning and that is one of the first places I want to explore. Split was passed as well, another place I want to see. 

After walking around outside the Frankfurt airport, China and I sat by the window and she slept. This may have been the first time she completely relaxed. My chin kept hitting my chest from drifting off.
China got many sweet remarks from workers and passengers, especially the men. It helped me more than her that everyone adored her :)
This is the hotel where we spent the night in Zagreb, capital city of Croatia. The staff here made our stay with the dogs so easy. I was hesitant to walk Selma inside, because that is forbidden in so many places in the States. The doorman gestured largely for me to enter and when I asked "Can I bring her in?" He asked me, genuinely, "Why not?"
A group of Americans were in the hotel and I heard one of the women say, "I love this hotel because I saw someone checking a dog in!" I smiled. I was standing just behind her with Selma when she announced this. 
There was a dog bed with a mattress and sheets, plus two dog bowls on the floor beside it. Selma couldn't believe it! She snoozed well.   
There are some very cool, trendy spots in Zagreb. This is a view from our restaurant that night. Ancient, old, new, modern, graffiti and vines- it's a mixology there.
If I hadn't craved sleep so much, I would've stopped to sip. 
China, being a sweet travel companion. She goes where I go! 
The views from the curving, cliffside road are incredible. Croatia's islands look like the play land of Peter Pan. I believe they have more islands than Greece.

The fruit stands we passed were set up very close to the road and the produce looked so colorful, my mouth watered and I yearned to be hungry just so I could stop and eat. But, I wasn't hungry at all because Nick had so may bags of raw nuts and dried fruit in the car. There are many apricots here and that is a happy thing.

When we got to Montenegro, we drove to the ferry that crosses the bay and continued toward Tivat & Porto Montenegro. We were amused by the way everyone gets out of their cars and talks even though the ferry ride is about 5 minutes. Then, they hop in their cars again quickly and skedaddle away. We entered Porto Montenegro at sunset. Unloading was easy for me because I let Nick do it! I had hauled so many heavy things for so many sleepless hours that I felt okay about this. So, all that was left for me to do was eat, unpack some things, shower and sleep. My rest in Zagreb and on my first night here in Porto was deep and far away- as in universal scale type far away. Before leaving Atlanta I didn't get a lot of rest. There was so much to do and I only got 3 hours Friday night. While flying, China was with me and I felt I needed to be up in case she became too restless and chirpy for other passengers to sleep. Otherwise, I would've caught some zzzz's on the ultra quiet plane.

La Piazza for lunch. This is in Porto's Village.
My first day in Porto, Tuesday, included a quick walk-around tour of the Village here, lunch of asparagus risotto at the restaurant La Piazza, introduction to those in the Residence Sales Office, and a cappuccino at Porto Montenegro's Lifestyle Office 'AM/PM', a place I go to almost every day now. I wrote in my journal and took in my view of the marina. This was ideal for me. I sat outside while drinking an illy cappuccino and apricot juice with the sole objective of writing and looking around me. We joined a friend and work colleague of Nick's for a tasting of local white wines. That evening, we strolled the jetty and looked at the yachts. I had everything unpacked and aside from gadgets of communication, I was transplanted.

Ideal.
Cappuccino at Porto Montenegro's Lifestyle Office, AM/PM.  
A walk around my new territory. There's a splash of Paris in this.
First day spent in Porto Montenegro.
A yacht lined stroll.
I really like this crane that remains at the end of Jetty 1. Good energy in this.
The sun just dipped away behind those mountains. It was a beautiful view.
Wednesday and Thursday included the usual sunny dog walks, the pool at Tara, getting new cell phones and the logistical things situated, the most divine peach I've ever eaten, the Heidi Klein boutique event, meeting a lot of new people, and dining like best friends with a large group of people I didn't know aside from Nick. That dinner was fun to me because several of the people there were just in Porto from their yacht stop and I doubt I'll ever see them again, but truly enjoyed their company. It was complete with a birthday song and speech and chihuahua calls.    
    
Friday, yesterday, there was an event called The Duke Art Challenge. Acclaimed graffiti artist Jon One has created four "spontaneous" pieces in 24 hours and they are auctioning these off tonight. The kick off to this included drinks by cocktail-ologists and local fruit and cheese. Then we were off to dinner at Lido Rooftop where I had truffle risotto that blew me away. This is a fun spot because it has a killer pool area, night club, and a restaurant that features exquisite meals. I think they have outdoor yoga classes here M, W, and F, which officially makes it a huge asset in my life. 

Today, Nick took me on a boat ride to Perast for lunch and a stop at Our Lady of the Rocks which is one of two islands just off of the coast. The other is St. George Islet (a natural island) and it holds an older Orthodox monastery than the Catholic church of its neighbor (legendary man-made island). St. George is also the grave site of many old nobility of Perast and surrounding areas. 


Boat ride to Perast for lunch.

My new surroundings astonish me. This is humbling terrain.


Perast, Montenegro
Leaving to see the islands after we had lunch waterside, Perast.

While on Our Lady of the Rocks islet.

Saint George Islet (Sveti Đorđe), viewed from Our Lady of the Rocks. Perast on left in distance. And a wee little swimmer,  mid stroke, not too far from the boat. 

Saint George Islet. There's something so special about it.

Our Lady of the Rocks islet (Gospa od Škrpjela), viewed from boat.

This boat ride is one I will never forget. I have never felt so still inside. There aren't words to describe a first encounter with this type of Water Meets Earth. It is powerful and calming, a privilege to be within. I felt as though I had never really known the word surreal until then. My reactions weren't even appropriate because my mind wasn't fully comprehending that this surrounding me could be real. It was stunning.

Tonight, there is a Venetian Carnival taking place on Jetty 1. We are to wear all white and will be handed masks upon arrival. I'm expecting it to feel magical and mysterious. I've been excited about this one for days.        
    

2 comments:

Mom said...

What a fun-filled week. I really enjoy the descriptions of your pictures.

Mandy Clark said...

Love your posts. Can't wait for the next one and more pictures. It looks absolutely glorious there. Peaceful yet vibrant!