Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why? Well, because...

When I first saw Claude Monet's Le Pont Japonais it sort-of took my breath away. Something about the strokes, the bridge, the colors took me away in thought and also brought me inward, inviting me into myself. I have thought of this painting as 'life' since my teenage years. This painting, and thought about it, has been a friend to me for a long time.
"Step up close: I'm not perfect. I'm not defined. I'm abstract and confusing and cluttered. It seems I make no sense. The colors that make me are contrasting, dark and deep, then light and glowing.  The strokes are harsh here but cleverly rounded there. Step up close and the wish to see more, all of me, grows intense. Up close the search for what I am seems never-ending.
Blink.
Step back: What am I now? I am art. I blend the once disconnected dashes to make this scene you see. I use that dark to highlight this bright. I build a bridge, a pathway, a hopeful place to put foot. Put all of me together and from a distance I not only make sense, I am beautiful in every way. Take only a portion of me and I may not be, but all of me shows wonderment. I may not be finished. I could be added to more and more, but this is where the brush strokes stopped- this is where the paint was put down. It makes me no less precious. I'm perfect just like this- already.
The brush stroke, the breath.
The dark and devastating lending its light to the vibrant.
I make sense from this distance.
I am life.
What is your perspective of me?"
...that's what this painting whispers to me. So, I brought this page into my 'painting' to help with my perspective or to just be imperfect up-close. I hope one day, when I have stepped far away, I can turn around and look back and see something like Le Pont Japonais. This is In My Monet.      
I am committed to being as honest as I can with myself. I am committed to putting myself out there. I strive to be forthright and wrong or right, but thinking. And above all, I try to just push the 'publish' button and not treat this as a place to be perfect, but as a place to step forward. For me, this is a bridge to an unknown place. That place is me, my life, and after.
If I can remember this, the moments within can each be a painting unto itself.

No comments: