Monday, June 13, 2011

First stop- New York City


All signs point to a perfect journey!

I stood in the line, zeroed in on the cute female "agent" on the other side of the normal scanner. My belongings were on the belt, all rules followed- and barefoot I stood hoping to not be felt up and instead be allowed to simply get to my terminal.
I sit now, safely away from the hazard and non-radiated, non-fondled. The wishing worked. I made it through the check-in and scanning and did so in a time friendly way. Cheerful me.
We have oodles of time before we board the plane. We decided to head out early to avoid any frantic racing to make a flight. Our driver was pleasant and was speedy with delivering us curb side. And gentleman have been helpful by toting my bag for me when they didn't really have to. I tell ya, every single time I've been to New York City I have had the same reaction. I hit the street and my breath draws deep. I feel an internal buzz and sweet vibration. And the love greets me like I have come home. New Yorkers are nice, very nice. And New York is like living in an imagination.

When we got off the train at Penn Station it was still an underground world- far away. I told Nick I felt like we were all little maggots swarming around and making our way around one another in formations that curve and wind. Somehow we all remained mildly courteous as we slowly found holes in the crowd and then sped ahead as if it would matter. When we stepped to the street though, "Hello, New York City!" we walked a few blocks with our baggage to get our legs in motion again.
Coming out of Penn Station.

Can you believe I got out of there with this honkin' bag?
Hailing a cab is an art. I always do it, but it makes me feel dumb and rejected. They pass with passengers already in tow and there I am waving to nobody after all. Then one swoops up and saves me from embarrassment. I feel like friends with the driver immediately because he didn't leave ms hanging. He actually high-5ed me.
Marriott downtown was our spot to relax. I hadn't stayed in this district yet, so it was great. We were right next to the World Trade Center construction/memorial/wreckage site. The new tower is partially up. And there is a lot of anticipation surrounding this unique piece of land. I walked past this once before in January of 2002. I never saw the real deal. Only the aftermath.
I can't say I was prepared for this picture.

New World Trade Center Building well under way.

Dinner was at The Odeum. We were starving! Nicks tuna burger was a success with his belly and I had a goat cheese and greens salad that was incredible.

Odeon for dinner.
We were both set on dessert so after eating real food we walked and found the perfect place. Their apple cobbler and ice cream was served up and devoured in a flash.






Ever since we arrived in New York City we appreciated the weather. Strolling back down the streets of TriBeCa was a perfect way to spend the first night of our much anticipated trip.



Snooze.
6 am... Yeh right.
Snooze.
Up and at 'em for bag check and another day to enjoy NYC. Balthazar is the opening act.
The enormous tilted mirrors on the walls made Nick a tad dizzy at first and the bread stacked above his head made me not only dizzy but I had to retract my fangs and impulse to hurdle him and attack the bread rack. It is a beautiful sight.
Quiche with peppers and caramelized onion and Gruyere cheese and fresh greens for me, cappuccino please. Omelette with herbs and potato home fries for the gentleman. Cappuccino due.
SoHo shop shop.
Ooh, Soho Psychic? Ten dollah?
Pass.
We walked until I had to resort to the havaianas.
Battery Park was pure delight. More later on all of that. I am side-tracked by the slightly gothic lad who is calling his mommy to tell her he just went back to security and turned in a kitchen knife he had found in his bag and when he realized it he freaked out. He was so scared he didn't know whether to go back of not. It's really hard not to eavesdrop.

Journey tracking will continue... I am at airport and am suddenly overcome by all the noise. Crying, talking, ringing, beeping, loud speaker blaring, horn sounding from something. I have to go. I need my hands back. I need to insert my forefingers into my eardrums.

Hugs and smooches.

Here we go, on the move, again!

No comments: