Sunday, January 9, 2011

A picture speaks a thousand words. A memory speaks a million.

This blog I've kept strictly for writing, but, have decided to, if appropriate, post pictures along with the words. I thought it might be a nice change. And so, the first photograph I have posted is one of Evans from "Evans Almighty". Maybe the words describe him as you will see him in the picture, maybe not. The truth is, I came across the photo months after I wrote that post. When I wrote that, I was at a make-shift desk that I had formed out of a hospital bedside tray at the foot of my mother's hospital bed. She was recovering from knee surgery and my dad and I took turns spending time in the room with her. I'm probably not the best nurse, but I did my best. And as she slept, I read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and wrote a bit too. I don't remember choosing the focus of the entry with effort. I think that when I drove to the hospital, thirty minutes from my childhood home, he and the day spent on Mead's Bay beach came to me naturally. It is a pleasant location for my thoughts to land. I love thinking back to that one day when so much happened on a beach in a remote portion of the world. I have photographs and memories of my mom and sister laughing and splashing the water, my lovely and very missed Shakti swimming in the ocean with me, China playing in the sand, and Nick standing proudly against an unbelievable horizon. As for which one serves me better, memory or film, is questionable.

But, I value the help and prompting that these remarkable memory catchers, these frozen moments in time provide me.

Check Evans out, the man I've made immortal in my mind, and I'll try and have more posted along with entries past and entries to come.


(2009- March- Evans Almighty)
http://bethcassini.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

No comments: